Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Merry Hallo'mas! a Glow in the Dark Skeleton Dress

skeleton sultry sheath gerties book for better sewing


This was meant to be my Hallowe'en dress, and I had it all finished in time for Halloween except that I needed to buy and put in the zipper but then I ended up getting sick on Halloween. So since then its been hanging in my closet neglected. However I think now I've talked myself into believing that I can wear this dress just as everyday casual wear. I was pretty fond of goth looks in high school anyway.

Pattern notes:
This is the bodice from the Sultry Sheath from Gertie's Book for Better Sewing again. Pretty much I was in a hurry so I used something where I'd already corrected the fit. The skirt is a simple dirndl. I like the combination of the very feminine neckline with the macabre print.

skeleton sultry sheath gerties book for better sewing close up


Fabric notes:
This is a quilting fabric from timeless treasures which I bought online from ebay. It's an anatomical skeleton print, and oh yeah it glows in the dark! I recommend this bodice pattern with a dirndl skirt as a good one for using quilting cottons you want to wear, it came together really easily.

skeleton sultry sheath gerties book for better sewing print


Sewing notes:
As I said above, this pattern came together really easily with the quilting cotton compared to when I made it with double gauze - definitely beginner friendly and a good match for hard to resist quilting cotton prints.

skeleton sultry sheath gerties book for better sewing scallop finish


I used the scallop edge to finish my facing, but having yet to wash it you can still see fray check here - more of a precaution then anything it won't be visible to the eye after the first washing.

skeleton sultry sheath gerties book for better sewing hem finish


When I tried on my dress to hem it I realized I was really happy with the length it already was. In the spirit of stash busting and cheapness I used some cheap poly ribbon to finish the hem. It actually adds some extra body to the hem, which I like in a '50s inspired dress like this. The poor women's horsehair braid?

Looking forward to Christmas week, starting with a date at Casa Loma which should be all decked out for the holidays this weekend. I think I might wear this dress!

11 comments:

  1. that dress is pure perfection! love everything about it! and i totally use that 'poor women's horsehair braid' techique, thanks for naming it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! The poor women's horsehair braid technique works pretty well doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. Best print ever!! I lobe this dress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's an older timeless treasures (I think 2011?) but if you search ebay some should still be around if you're interested.

      Delete
  3. Such a wicked dress! Love what the ribbon did to the hem. And really love how you added a scalloped edge to the facing. Never thought of that before! Great work. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scalloped edge is pretty impractical, but I don't really like the look of a zigzagged facing and I don't own a serger (someday!). Thanks for the nice comments!

      Delete
  4. aaarghhh! I LOVE the scallop edge facings - how have I never thought of doing that before!!!

    Oh, and I think you should wear this dress all year round, regardless of the skeletons :D

    Hannah x
    www.madewithhugsandkisses.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Because I don't have a serger I often end up doing time consuming finishes just so the insides of my garments will look nice...

      Delete
  5. Love it! You are right, the neckline contrasts with the print perfectly!
    I have a thing for skulls too, but this fabric is way better since it labels all the bones too (SO COOL!) I have this spider brooch I bust out sometimes to contrast when I am wearing something really girly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spider brooch sounds pretty great! I really like the mix of creepy with kind of cutesy.

      Delete